The RED WEAPON is a new paid upgrade coming for DRAGON users. Previously, there was some speculation over what kind of update WEAPON would be. It has now been confirmed that RED WEAPON is a camera body update for those with RED EPIC DRAGON and RED SCARLET DRAGON cameras.
We currently don’t have too many details about the WEAPON upgrades, but here’s what we do know:
- Upgrade lines that were performing the MX to DRAGON upgrade will become DRAGON to WEAPON upgrade lines, so if you haven’t upgraded to DRAGON yet, you will probably want to do that ASAP
- There is more than one WEAPON and there is a path for SCARLET (DRAGON) owners to go to WEAPON. (Direct quote from Jarred)
- Upgrades to DRAGON will cost more after NAB this year, so upgrade now if you can.
- There will be different I/O modules that give various configurations of HD-SDI/HDMI. (There will be an adapter to make current LEMO monitoring/touchscreen options work with Weapon.)
- WEAPON brain is almost half an inch shorter than the EPIC brain.
- REDVOLT XL batteries work fine… the existing REDVOLT XL module does not.
- It looks like Mini-Mags will be the only media option. (source)
We expect full details about the RED WEAPON upgrade to be released at NAB 2015 next month.