Just in time for the holidays, Canon released the C200, adding another entry into the sub $8,000 compact 4K cinema camera market. The C200 is the newest Canon Cinema EOS Camera, and has been creating quite a buzz among the film community.
One of the more exciting aspects of the C200 is the inclusion of internal 4K Raw recording onto a single CFast 2.0 card in a brand new format called Cinema Raw Light. The Canon C200 gives users an easy to work with compressed RAW format, a feature that at this point has only been done by Blackmagic and RED.
If you were hoping for and internal codec option of 10bit 4:2:2, you will be sorely disappointed. Internal codec options include only an 8bit 4:2:0 option in MP4 for non-raw recording. It doesn’t look like the C200 will get a 10 bit 4:2:2 internal codec anytime soon, as the promised firmware update coming in 2018 will be XF-AVC YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit, which will also be recorded to the SD cards and not the CFast card.
One of the most impressive features of the C200 is the autofocus capability which blew reviewers’ minds when they tried it on a 200mm lens at f/4 shooting at a model walking towards the camera. The C200 kept the focus locked on the moving subject extremely well.
Canon EOS C200 Features/Specs:
- 4K DCI Cinema RAW Light
- 4K/60p – 10 bit onto CFast 2.0
- 4K/30p – 12 bit onto CFast 2.0
- Internal Compressed Codec options:
- Full HD 120fps Continuous with no sensor crop
- 4K/60p Long GOP 8bit 4:2:0 at 150 Mbps in MP4
- 4K/24/25/30p Long GOP 8bit 4:2:0 at 100 Mbps
- 2K/HD at 35 Mbps 8bit 4:2:0 in MP4
- Recorded onto SD cards
- Up to 15-stops dynamic range (Cinema RAW Light)
- Canon LOG 3
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF with touch control and extensive shooting functions
- Easy operation and flexible configuration
- HDMI 2.o Out – 3840 x 2160 out
- SDI Out – 1080/60p out to external recorders
- Dual DIGIC DV 6 Processors
- Rotating 4″ LCD Monitor, Camera Grip
- Integrated EVF, 2 x XLR Audio Inputs
- 1 x CFast Card, 2 x SD Card Slots
Check out the video below to see footage shot on the Canon C200: